Are you having panic attacks?
A panic attack is a sudden surge of overwhelming fear that comes without warning and without any obvious reason. It is far more intense than the feeling of being "stressed out" that most people experience. A panic attack is not dangerous, but it can be terrifying, largely because it feels "crazy" and "out of control." Panic disorder is frightening because of the panic attacks associated with it, and also because it often leads to other complications such as phobias, depression, substance abuse, medical complications, even suicide. Its effects can range from mild word or social impairment to a total inability to face the outside world.
Taking this handy questionnaire can help determine whether you’re having panic attacks and how severe they are. You might want to print it out, since you can’t fill it out on-line.
1. Do you have sudden surges of intense fear, terror or dread that strike for no apparent reason?
2. During these episodes, do you feel one or more of the following physical symptoms?
Heart racing, pounding or skipping beats?
Tightness, pressure, or discomfort in your chest?
A lump in your throat or choking sensation?
Shortness of breath or erratic breathing?
Light-headedness or dizziness?
Tingly, prickly sensations or numbness in parts of your body?
Shakiness or trembling?
Nausea or butterflies?
Hot flashes or chills?
3. During these episodes, do you think any of the following things?
that you’re sick, dying or going crazy?
that you might throw up, suffocate, or have a heart attack?
that things seem unreal or that you are detached from your body?
that you must escape or flee the situation?
that you might lose control and embarrass yourself in front of others?
4. Even when you’re not having a panic attack, are you nervous because of worrying about future panic attacks?
5. Do you avoid certain places or situations for fear they’ll trigger a panic attack?
People have been getting in touch with LetSmile for anxiety and panic related issues and we have been proactively helping them get better. LetSmile has built a considerable amount expertise in this area over the years, both in a professional capacity and on a personal level.